Welcome to Raytown South High School
Although planning for construction at South High began in 1957 with the purchase of land at the corner of 83rd and Sterling, the bond election for construction was not held until January of 1960. Raytown voters heartily approved the construction of the school, and the school opened for 9th and 10th graders in September of 1961. During the next two years, 20 rooms of the school were still used for elementary classrooms for south side students as the district struggled to keep up with growth. With the completion of the building in 1963, Raytown South became a 10th-12th grade high school. The first graduating class at Raytown South was the Class of 1964. Well-known for its academics and extra-curricular success, South High enjoys a strong alumni support base.